Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Talking Feline

Reading Joann Sfar's "The Rabbi's Cat" is interesting because the cat is narrating the story. I thought having a cat narrate the story was a creative idea and it makes for a unique perspective on what happens throughout the book. This cat does many fascinating things and has interesting thoughts. For a portion of the book the cat gains the ability to speak. I enjoy this aspect of the book because I've always wished my cats could speak English. Knowing what is going on in their little heads would be quite amusing, although they are so naughty in general that knowing what they are thinking could cause me aggravation at times. However, communicating with them through language would be an interesting experience. I wonder if Sfar's idea to make the cat speak came from his desire to have his cat speak to him.

In class it was mentioned that the cat is able to speak after eating a parrot and people wondered if this is a reference to The Fall in the Garden of Eden and the knowledge humans gained from eating the fruit they were forbidden by God to eat. I hadn't considered that idea while I read the book but I think it has merit. Sfar may very well have intended the reader to interpret the situation that way. If so it's interesting because a cat has no business speaking any more than people should be disobedient to God, but the cat ate the bird because of its selfish reasons just like people go their own way out of selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment